RCU Forums - View Single Post - *** Ultra Sport Brotherhood ***
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2014, 09:41 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RCKen
The only problem I would have with putting larger glow engines like that would be the cost of the glow fuel. I run 15% fuel at and around $20/gallon it can run into some money in a hurry running a large glow engine. That's one reason why I've started going with gas engines in anything larger than a 90-sized 4 stroke any more. As I said earlier, I think this is one of the reasons that they US 1000 never really was as popular as the two smaller versions. The bigger glow engines just cost too much to run.
Ken
I hear this argument all the time from people who have no experience with large glow engines. I run a Moki 210, a Moki 180 and a couple of OS 160s. All of them will run on zero nitro (FAI) fuel. I run them on 5% because they idle a little more consistently on that. But any higher nitro is a total waste of money on these engines. I buy 5% Omega in a four gallon case for $13 a gallon and a case will last me 6 months to a year. Yes, a big engine will go through a lot of fuel at full throttle, but who flies those at full throttle all the time? With normal throttle control, a 10 minute aerobatic (not 3D) flight with a Moki 180 will burn about 8 oz of fuel. At $13 a gallon, that is about 80 cents a flight. Round that up and ask yourself if $1.00 per flight is too much for Moki type performance.

Jim

Last edited by jrf; 11-18-2014 at 03:35 PM.