RCU Forums - View Single Post - Another Drone Pilot does it Again
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2014, 10:53 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm trying a different approach, that so far is at least producing a response from the TSA. The strategy is to bury them (FAA / TSA) in paperwork. Here's uwhat I did this morning:

I went through the FAA website (HTTPS://WAIVERS.FAA.GOV) to formally request a waiver to FDC 4/3621.I deliberately picked a ridicuously small RC model, in my case a Blade Nano CPX. I asked to fly it in my front yard, which is precisely 2.8NM from Beaver Stadium, during the time of the PSU game this weekend. I also specifically told them in comments that: it is an RC helicopter, the flight will be confined to my front yard, and will be confined to an altitude of 50 feet AGL and below. I also pointed out that their form requires me to lie in several places, for example one cannot submit unless you create an N-number, which is N/A for an RC model, similarly you have to submit a list of passengers, which is N/A for an RC model, and you have to submit a letter of verification, which is N/A for an RC model, as well as submit the pilot's license info, which is also N/A for an RC model (this is to protect you from using the justification that "you lied" to reject - you point out that their process won't accept accurate info). Then lastly, I added that "The absence of a response shall be interpreted to be approval of this request."

I submitted that this morning around 9AM eastern. By 130pm I had a phone call from TSA. The agent was unaware the FAA notam applied to models. She was also unaware of the issues with the form etc. She kept saying this is an FAA thing, but it's clear that the paperwork ends up at TSA. That tells me there's an opportunity to pit one agency against another in a way that is very effective - TSA doesn't want the deluge of work from poorly written FAA policy. Soooooooo

I'd encourage everyone who lives inside 3NM from one of the events listed in the NOTAM to file two requests: One to fly something ridicuously small in your yard at very low altitudes, and a second to fly the same aircraft INSIDE your home. My thought is that if TSA receives a few hundred of these every weekend, they'll lean on FAA to rewrite the NOTAM.

Just my 2 cents.