RCU Forums - View Single Post - Another Drone Pilot does it Again
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2014, 11:55 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phlpsfrnk
Commander,
While I agree what you have done may be an interesting exercise and the response you've gotten thus far is telling do we really want to encourage others to do the same. Do we really want these organizations to look at us (hobbyist) and wonder what kind of games are we up to now? The final impact that this may have on our hobby just may be to great.

Regards
Frank
Granted, the response to this request singly or in large groups is an unknown. But I'd ask how has what we've been doing so far been working out? Today the NTSB affirmed the FAA's right to restrict model airplane operations. FAA/TSA put in place this restriction, and created a waiver process, so why not try to do what any reasonable responsible model pilot "should" do, and that is to request a waiver? AMA tried blanket waivers, which was denied per Hanson's comments above. Next logical step would be the individual waiver for a specific day, time, and RC aircraft type. But the real wildcard is the media. They've been all over the knucklehead "drone" pilots flying irresponsibly. But how would they react when someone tries to do the responsible thing and still gets denied ("by the evil wicked goverment")? Again, I don't know. But again, what I do know is the approach taken so far isn't working so well.