RCU Forums - View Single Post - Another Drone Pilot does it Again
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2014, 07:10 PM
jetjockey69
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I'm an aviation accident investigator by training, and I watched with great interest the video of the crash. It was frightening to watch the airplane clearly unable to maintain centerline from the very start of the takeoff roll. And despite that, the pilot decided to continue the takeoff, the deviation worsened, and yet still no abort. Finally, once completely out of room and careening toward the crowd, the pilot yanked the out of control airplane into the air. It didn't look so much like a 180 as a wingover type maneuver with the airplane impacting as it came down the back side. That said, if you say it made a 180, then it did.

As for what's possible at certain venues, that's where it's a balance between field size, layout, winds, crowd size, crowd control, course rules, operating procedures, and in some cases perhaps even aircraft size (as to what's allowed and not). Not easy to be sure, but I suspect there will be increased scrutiny - I'd predict giant scale and/or turbines first. But time will tell. That said though, it would be wise for any group contemplating a large event to take a real hard look at planned operations - with an eye toward "how would a regulator view what we're about to do?"
That's an excellent way to look at it. Well said.