RCU Forums - View Single Post - What are some of your favort jet Servos and why?
Old 11-20-2014, 09:31 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by YellowAircraft
Jeremy,

You hit it on the head. Whatever the servo with the most torque on the market at a given time soon becomes the minimum requirement for our jets. Then you see guys flying 400 mph gliders with 80 ounce servos on critical surfaces.... Or, better yet, you remember what you had in your fastest DF jet (like my 200mph Starfire) before digital servos. Yeah, Futaba S148's and Airtronics 94102's. I never had a problem at all with those 48 ounce servos on the elevators of my 200 mph DF. But today, I wouldn't dream of doing that?
Hi Shawn,
Yup, even in 1998, my first ducted fan was a DL Aeromodels Cyclone with a Dynamax fan and an OS91 with Shadel Piston and liner. It wasn't 200mph, but it flew perfectly fine with JR NES531 plain jane ball bearing 55oz servo's on ALL the surfaces. I remember flying Formula one and Q40 planes with 30oz servo's on the elevator that got yanked hard every couple seconds too!
Today there are charts and equations that tell me those airplanes should have had at a minimum 120oz servo's...... There was a time we all trusted NiMh batteries in our airplanes too. I still do. K.I.S.S sometimes really is the best way.