RCU Forums - View Single Post - How do I get a Turbine Waiver if I Can't Fly a Turbine without One?
Old 11-24-2014, 08:48 AM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Opinion Alert:

I think the waiver signoff process just needs to go. I really dont see what value it provides. Damaging property is one thing but hurting another human is the most risk (and expensive thing) involved. And you can do that just if not more effectively with a 600-700 sized Heli, large 3d plane with a alrge prop, or heavy warbird (which is harder to fly and heavier than many jets).

I know jet guys dont like when I say this but its how I feel and I mean no disrespect.

Besides, lots and lots of jets crash all the time and the waiver process did nothing to stop it. Its going to happen with or without a waiver process. If a paper waiver is really needed for legal reasons, well then just sign a waiver and send it to the AMA, all this sign off stuff is just for show, and is a huge headache for new comers who dont care to go to rallys or suck up to some guy who takes his hobby way too serious.
There are GREAT CDs out there to work with so its a non issue in some cases, but we all hear the stories.

Can some guy who is not ready get a jet and crash it? You bet, it happens and they already have a waiver from a "buddy". There are a huge amount of waiver holders who have waivers from the "old days" when all you needed is to fly a foamy to get it (exaggerated). I am glad the AMA got more specific but they didnt revoke the waivers and these questionable pilots are still flying trainer jets around crashing into stuff (and worse, giving advice)

This is not meant to troll but to express my opinion. I know in this era the FAA Is all over us so now is not the time. But eventually I'd like to see it be removed as a requirement. Besides there are several parts of it the people dont abide by such as the min flights needed in a 24 month period. I KNOW several people dont meet that and I dont care, just saying. Its all or none.

Its nice to have someone experienced look over a model before it flies for sure though. Regardless of what it is! That is one positive aspect I hope the waiver process provides but not sure it always does.