RCU Forums - View Single Post - carburator cleaningI
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2014, 01:08 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, now I have taken time to watch the longer video, and it is better but I have some comments about it too. For most common rebuilds the way he shows doing it would be fine. But there are a few things I do differently.

For one, when spraying the carb with cleaner, or as I do, with WD-40, when spraying in the regulator chamber I spray through the holes that lead to the high and low speed circuits. When I do this, I want to see the spray coming out of both the high and the low speed needle holes respectively. You rarely find a blockage on the high speed circuit, but sometimes you do on the low speed. If so, you need to blow compressed air through the needle hole and try to get it cleaned out. Sometimes you may need to soak it for a while, then blow it out again.

Then, I like to hold my fingers over those same holes in the regulator fuel chamber to close them, and spray though the needle holes themselves. While doing this, hold the throttle open and look in the venturi, or carb throat. When doing the idle needle hole, you should see the spray coming out the 2 or 3 idle and midrange holes in the venturi, and when you spray through the high speed needle adjustment hole, you should see spray coming out of the high speed orifice. Sometimes that orifice is a brass valve sticking into the venturi, sometimes just an orifice hole, but you should see spray coming out of it in any case. If not, find out why.

Lastly, I always give my gaskets a shot of WD-40 while I am fooling around with the carb to soften them up a bit and get a better seal. Sometimes dry gaskets compress more after they have been exposed to the fuel/oil, and then your regulator and fuel pump covers might be loose. I also do not assemble the carb dry the way he shows. I either put a good shot of WD-40 in both the fuel pump and regulator chamber, or pour some fuel/oil in there. This helps the carb seal well and pump right away when put into use.

Ok, I'm off my "carb soapbox" now.... Just little tricks I have learned to use over the years. They only take a moment, and might save you from putting the carb back on the engine, only to still have problems with it.

Last edited by av8tor1977; 11-28-2014 at 01:16 PM.