RCU Forums - View Single Post - Be Worried Now. NTSB Says RC=aircraft
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2014, 11:18 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hossfly
Mr. franklin_m, with your aeronautical knowledge, you are so far ahead of 99+% of model aviation's people that, IMO, less that .05% have a clue as to what you are bringing to the table. In addition far too few of the average RC Club members along with the Club Officers and membership, they have no idea about what the AMA "Membership Manual" designates for safe flying. Not too long ago, I was at a not-too-distant Club Fly-In. The entire event was, as I thought, taken over by a group, about 8 or so individuals flying very large war-birds. None could fly a true racetrack pattern with the wind situation.

Runway there is north and south. Wind was about from 150 degrees. After take-offs and/or a low pass they turned tightly into that wind, rather than making a shallow turn into the wind to move the ground track further out, they let the downwind track start closer in than it should be, then turned straight downwind, while drifting more towards the pit area, then a turn into the inside track, while drifting across the fence over into the area right up to where others were watching and/or pitting. At least they had to cut tight to get back over the runway so as not to pass over themselves, or between the fliers and the main Pit area. I attempted to bring this to one of the main group, as to how to keep the aircraft over the runway, but that was not given any credence. I soon went to the Contest Director (A long time AMA CD) but he refused to do anything because the group was putting on a good show. (IMO none other would have a chance, and I certainly did not want to be on a pilot station with such whizzing very close.) I left a bit early.

My main point here is that the average RC Pilot has very little knowledge of real world aviation and if his/her model flies, then that is all that matters, while, again just my opinion, the average club officer is only interested in being a big-buddy, and again has very little if any knowledge that is in the AMA's "Membership Manual." Just how many bother to download the Manual on to their computer and read the safety stuff. I dare say not more than 2%.

As for me, well I am going to fly my models now and then, but after this failure to get into the AMA's inner sanctum, with only 10% +/- bothering to vote, I am out of that business to any large extent. Ya''ll all take care out there.
Hossfly, thanks for the compliment. For the record, you had my vote.

I've opened communication with some of the AMA board members after one of them contacted me in response to an email I sent them. He asked for some written input based on our phone conversation, which I provided. I also spent the better part of a day generating a SWOT analysis from a safety management and policy making perspective, which I provided to that individual as well as three other board members.

I'm waiting to hear back. Meanwhile, the FAA continues to move forward.