RCU Forums - View Single Post - ESM Fairey Swordfish "Stringbag"
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2014, 12:43 PM
cdrc2004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure who is on this thread these days but here you go anyway...

Had some good flights this weekend. Slowly making my way through scale detailing, borrowing heavily from Destroyer and adding some of my own twists.

Of interest: Tried out a Xoar 20x8x3 prop which really looks great and flies the plane beautifully. Only trouble was being limited to 6 minute flight time. Easy, scale flying left 3.75v in each cell. 2 x 6s 4100mAh batts w/ 80 amp CC HV ESC powering Tiger Motor AT5330-11 (190 KV). WOT produces 3700W pulling 74 amps. Aircraft only needed a few moments of WOT on take off, flies nicely at 1/2 throttle though it weighs 26.4 lbs. Looking into batts with higher mAh to give better duration. Batt compartment is really tight already though so we'll see.

Made my own spinner of balsa I shaped using my drill press like a lathe. I then poured CA over it to create a hard shell. Sanded and painted. Used Zap Goo to adhere spinner to end of prop shaft. The spinner is not perfectly balanced but it's pretty close. Since it's so light, being slightly out didn't make it fly off in mid flight as I thought it might. This is my first time using Zap Goo, I'm told it should be fairly easy to clean off when I near to remove the prop. It seems almost like a flexible caulk. A bit of a pain but worth it to me to have a scale spinner. BTW, since the spinner was easy to make I made a couple so if I end up having to wreck this one to remove it I have another on deck.

Cheers,

Chris
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Radial Spinner.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	744.2 KB
ID:	2051275   Click image for larger version

Name:	Radial Spinner Full.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	829.1 KB
ID:	2051276