RCU Forums - View Single Post - First tank - want something quality
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2014, 06:52 AM
electric45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought two Taigen's from Gene about 2 months ago. They come RTR with radio and battery. The quality is poor in my opinion. Something will break pretty much the first or second day. I bought the Tiger and the Panzer. The Tiger seems to be the better of the two in terms of quality. So far, on the Tiger, I have replaced the IR emitter (it failed) and a couple of the axles broke(Plastic). Otherwise pretty good. On the Panzer I have replaced the Gearbox(pot metal and stripped second day) with steel gears. Gene supplied me with the front wheels for the Panzer when I bought it and sure enough the plastic ones broke the third day. Replaced them with the steel ones supplied and no problems. I also upgraded the electronics in both tanks with the ability to do IR battle with the Tamiya's. I have not tested it with Tamiya's yet, but they are working with each other with the new electronics installed. The tank club gets together in a January and will test then. My sense is, the range of the IR system I have put in will not be compatible with the Tamiya's, but have not tested it yet.

Since the initial repair and upgrade cycle they have run pretty well with no breakage.

The radio's work fine (2.4ghz). The big deal is the support from Gene at artistichobbies, great guy, always willing to help, and went well beyond expectations to ensure the tanks were running well. I have been to his store front and it's a small, but nicely run place and he is active (President, I think) of the tank group in Houston, so very active in the hobby.

Really would prefer the Tamiya's, but they are very expensive and this was a good way to get started in the hobby and see if it is something of interest for my son and I.

Last edited by electric45; 12-01-2014 at 06:54 AM.