RCU Forums - View Single Post - Dual Rx battery/Switch Set-up?
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2014, 01:35 PM
pedroaleman65

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomerang1
The curves may be of the older type of Eneloop cells.

When the cells were introduced of course I did some research into them and this is what I found, it's still posted on the net.

Next step was to measure what current the types of servos I use when under heavy load or stalled. The most powerful I use
drag less than one amp stalled so I'm comfortable using the Eneloop batteries for my applications. If the next lot I buy (the
originals are still working perfectly) have better discharge characteristics, well, even better!

Yep, lots of guys had lots of other problems with Spektrum too, the antenna carry-on & changing DSM types as well.
I'm not an 'early adopter' when it comes to new technology, I tend to hang back for a couple of years & wait for the
people who are to work through the problems & crash THEIR models. Me? I just changed to Futaba 2.4 which has never
had issues on 4 cell packs.

John.
You are right John with not being an early adopter.

The later generation of the eneloops could be identified by the crown-symbol. And indeed they had better discharge rates. Maybe their inner restistance had been lowered and therefore they delivered higher Ampere-rates.

I remember some test with the eneloops in the freezer. The earlier nimhs had the problem, to lose some power on cold days. But the eneloops still work powerful on winter days.

When the digital servos flooded the market, some people said, they consume more energy from your battery. Later I read, that this could not be proven, to be that simple.
While they move to the position where you want them to, this could really be the truth. But once they reached the position their consumption was less than the analog types.

As most of us heard, the digitals develop much more holding-power. The analogs fight much harder to keep the position. This fact shows, why there is no big difference in the energy-consumption.

Some 4 cell packs I saw, had to fight with problems of the planes, such as rudders not working lightly or blocked, cause the travelling was not programmed exactly.

Some manufactured packs were produced as time bombs. The Calmato trainer of my friend Marc came down in the automatic failsafe mode. The new futaba radios carry this safety issue out of the box.
The throttle is closed to idle-speed, to show you a weak battery power.

Marc had a 4 cell eneloop 2000 on board. The cables were bent over a sharp edge of a cell connector. And also pressed against it by the shrink tube. The connector had cut the isolation of the two cables and caused a short circuit.The two inner cells of the four cells standing in line, had opened their security valve. This can also happen, if someone has no idea of soldering packs and heats the cells up too much or too long.

This season I soldered a new 8 cell panasonic evolta for Roberts futaba transmitter. The original battery had started heating and losing capacity after less than 3 years.

The original pack had welded connectors. If the welding is done firmly, I will not moan about this way. But I found two cells where the plus-poles were not hit exactly. There were little holes shot beside them from the welding tool.

Robert is really happy now with his new soldered 8 cell evolta and the "stay charged-feature".(=ready to use)

Few weeks ago I replaced a 6 cell 1800mA from a new futaba 8 channel transmitter. I think it also had less than 3 years and started heating. The charger, though working in the nimh mode, could not note the delta peak anymore and kept charging on and on.

I did not take the transmitter at home and soldered a pretty 6 cell eneloop. I went to my friends house and had to realize, that this transmitter had cells in between the mignon and micro size. There was no way to get the eneloops into the housing, so I changed the 6 cells to another 4 cell RX battery, my friend also needed.

I soldered then two sanyo lithium ion mangan in line. Those have 2050 mAh, don`t need to be balanced, can be completely empty without damaging, can give 18amps current and are totally safe in their round, red steel mantle.

These examples show everyone, why I no longer rely on other people`s work...... And why other people start relying on mine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0623.JPG
Views:	282
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	2052427  

Last edited by pedroaleman65; 12-06-2014 at 02:12 AM.