RCU Forums - View Single Post - carburator cleaningI
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2014, 09:40 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I received the overhaul kit and installed it. I still had the same problem. I could choke it and get it started and it would just run out the charge.

Since I had thoroughly cleaned it and carefully installed new gaskets and metering lever I decided there must be something else wrong.
I attempted to clean out the pulse line. I squirted cleaner in the pulse line to the motor. There was no problem there. I then squirted cleaner and the pulse hole at the bottom of the carburetor and cleaner came out one side of the pump cover. Obviously there was a leak there. I removed the pump cover and found that part of the gasket between the motor and the carburetor had folded over and interfered with the pump cover gasket. I removed the extra gasket part and re sealed the pump cover.
The motor finally started and ran normally. But I will have to reset the needles.
This had apparently been the problem all the time. When I removed the pump cover to clean the debris out of the screen area and then reinstalled the pump cover part of the motor carburetor gasket got caught between the pump cover and is gasket and created an air leak. Gasoline also leaked out of that area. That led me to believe the meter level was miss adjusted. I could not understand why it would leak gasoline and then not pump it.

You live and learn.