RCU Forums - View Single Post - WACO YMF
Thread: WACO YMF
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2014, 03:25 PM
emessys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ot question

Slightly OT question as this concerns a 1/4 scale Stearman. (I do have a Pica 1/5 WACO which I built many years ago and flew again for the first time in probably 10 years this summer. I really enjoyed reconnecting with the plane and look forward to flying it again next year).

Anyway, a friend of mine wants to sell me the Stearman which he hasn't flown in about 7 years and which he probably only flew a few times.

I took the plane home on "consignment" and spent some considerable time cleaning it up and repairing some minor problems.

A few weeks back I had a chance to put on the bottom wing and run the engine up. It has a Brison 5.8.

I was impressed by the easy start and nice idle. But when I ran the engine up I thought I would shake the whole plane apart. As a matter of fact, some pieces of the dummy radial did depart the plane, and some undersize servo screws managed to pull out (which I replaced with larger socket heads servo screws.

I am afraid this may be a problem with this single cylinder shaker, making the plane an iffy choice.

I was wondering if anyone on this site has had experience with this engine on their bipes.

The WS on the plane is 96" and I estimate the weight at 30lbs.

Don't know if the vibrations might be damped when the top wing is on, of if the engine might have to have the timing a bit more advanced.

Won't get to try it again till the spring, so I was hoping someone might have some info.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	WACO YMF-5.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	2052702   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0365.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	2.97 MB
ID:	2052703   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0367.JPG
Views:	73