RCU Forums - View Single Post - old timers look here must be 50+ years only
Old 12-06-2014, 06:11 PM
BrightGarden

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Greetings Gents,
Glad to find this thread and recognize some names here. Turned 51 this year and appreciate all the accounts I am reading here. Although I got back into the sport/hobby/obsession via electric foamies, I was surprised how fast my primal urges took me right back into fuel and balsa. First planes for me were in the late 60's, the familiar Cox and Testor's CL screamers. My dad got me started on my first stick and silkspan. Simple kit, small plane of about 30" wingspan. Painted it up with orange dope, and I don't remember where I even got the engine from. Flew it free flight. Once. But that led me to studying plans a whole lot closer and understanding what made them fly. Learned to balance around CG and I think I even surprised my dad at an early age I had figured that out. Also, thrust lines. Then converted a larger plane to CL on-the-fly and flew that in fields by the house, during high school. I have the Tee Dee 051 from that, still, which refueled my primal interests. Later, after college, I built a sailplane which was fun (a Wanderer, I think - sitting over there in the corner right now as I right.) Other unfinished planes from a couple of decades ago will now get finished. The early and harsh winter here in NY State makes for good building weather. 30 mph winds forecast for tomorrow and Monday.

Right now I am trying to round up guys in the area who have CL planes sitting around from yesteryear, get them dusted off, and get out flying.
There may be a fair-sized bunch that don't want the complications and expense of RC - KISS with CL.
Seeing if I can rekindle the same interests in those gents that have as fond memories as I have.
I have picked up a few CL planes off Craigslist to have handy if people with no experience want to try it out. Sig Buster, Twister, Chipmunk.
Here's my stab at rounding up the ranks, and I have gotten a couple of replies already: http://tinyurl.com/o6o6swe

Cheers,
Poughkeepsie Pete