RCU Forums - View Single Post - old timers look here must be 50+ years only
Old 12-06-2014, 09:29 PM
Bullseye52
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't remember the exact date (probably around 1962) but Dad would load Mom and I in the car on Sunday afternoon and head for the airport. I grew up in Charleston, SC and going out to the regional airport meant parking at the flight line fence and eating a picnic lunch that Mom made special for those occasions. Not only did we watch the commercial and private planes come and go but since Charleston shared the runway with the USAF we got to see some military transports too. Also would get to see Bevo Howard from time to time on those Sundays. Now get this, people were also flying control line out there by the airport as well. I remember my Dad bought us a "Wen-Mac" plastic .049 yellow trainer looking plane. When he set it up he only used one of two of the lengths of control line and when he managed to get that sucker off the ground, the short lines took him for a dizzying circular journey, Mom and I couldn't help but crack up laughing, which I don't think he liked very much. Dad gave it up after that dizzying episode and money got tight as my Mom lost her job at the American Tobacco Company. After that, I didn't get back into control line until I was in the USAF and stationed in Wichita Falls in 1973. Progressed from there and ended up doing a lot of hi-start launched sailplanes like the old Centurion, Windrifter, Windfree... Doing quite a bit of warbirds and I've got a Pitts S1, and a Super Cub. Turned 62 this past September but I'm still working and will probably be doing so for a few more years. I don't think I'll ever truly retire.

Happy Flying!

Bullseye52

Last edited by Bullseye52; 12-06-2014 at 09:32 PM.