RCU Forums - View Single Post - Citabria/Decathlon Brotherhood, ARF, kit build, electric, nitro and gas all welcome
Old 12-11-2014, 07:03 AM
Red Raider
My Feedback: (86)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of issues I had with my Decathalon was keeping the engine(s) running. We started out with Moki 180s. John's worked flawlessly, mine would deadstick after 2-3 minutes in the air. We did everything we could think of. changed fuel, fuel tank levels, 2-3 new tanks, different mufflers, increasing back pressure by closing off one of the exhaust pipes, tapped the crankcase for extra pressure - nothing worked. Finally changed engines to an OS BGX. Same thing. I never landed the plane under power. We probably put 30+ flights on that plane and never not one time got a full flight and landed with the engine running. It's had 3 engines on it before the latest CRRC 40. I've got 3 flights on it with this engine, and finally have landed it after a successful flight. (3 times) And of course, not all the dead stick landings were perfect. It now has a carbon fiber landing gear, a rebuilt firewall, 3rd new cowl, etc. But, I didn't give up and now have a really great plane. Despite the fact that it's 15 years old.