RCU Forums - View Single Post - HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part IV
Old 12-11-2014, 09:01 PM
mnemennth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heya b!

I'm still kickin'; still floggin' my tiny quads. Yer new bird will, most likely, be using the same powertrain as my Dynam Peaks, and the Dynam Devil, and the Dynam Waco, and so on, and so forth... see a pattern here?

M3720A-KV650 Motor, 40A or 50A Detrum or HobbyWing ESC, 13x6 Thin Electric Prop. I can confirm that a 14 x 6 APC is a nice bolt-on and gives a little slower take-off & landing. One thing you DO want to be very careful of... the collet-type prop-hub on these is a skeevy POS that relies on a honeycombed plastic backplate for the spinner. This compresses under use and the collet loses grip, allowing the entire prop and hub to come loose in flight. (There are several confirmed cases on the Devil thread, IIRC).

Do yourself a favor and replace the entire thing with a good 2 1/4" spinner and hub. Great Planes has a nice black nylon one with aluminum backing plate for about $7 (Part # GPMQ4767) that looks like it belongs on my Peaks. Others have been lucky and been able to re-use their prop adapter with the new spinner; I found that mine was wobbly and just got one from Tower when I ordered my Spinner. IIRC, it was a 5mm x 8mm prop adapter but you'll want to confirm that before ordering.

Also, the Dynams in this size range are notorious for having the cheapest possible servos... cheaper even than the HXT900!!! ( I dunno how that's possible, but there ya go) and many pilots are replacing them prior to maiden with the HXT900s or similar Metal Gear servos. The elevator servo on mine stripped out on the bench while testing; it never got in the air.

Good luck Boo-Boo!

mnem
*Spinny*

Last edited by mnemennth; 12-11-2014 at 09:04 PM.