RCU Forums - View Single Post - New Hangar 9 P-51 60cc
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2014, 09:19 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

As to laminar flow airfoils, nobody would notice. They are used in models. Look at the airfoil on the Great planes Viper Q-500 racer. It has the high point at the 50% chord area. This keeps the air sticking to more of the airfoil to reduce drag, for racing. It does not create a poor flying characteristic, although it may not like a highly loaded warbird on take off and landing. Again, chasing scale beyond the extent of what even scale competitors do. I think you would all be better off with a plane that is user friendly, than one you will be cursing and repairing all of the time from unwanted snaps.

I have not studied the P51 much, but from what I understand, they went even further with the laminar flow foil. They ducted air from the front of the airfoil to behind the high point to get an even higher percentage of air stuck to the entire wing. This was of course done to increase the range of the aircraft, to spend more time with the bombers. Something that this ARF will not need to be concerned with!