RCU Forums - View Single Post - time to stop the dromes..........NOW
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2014, 06:57 AM
JohnShe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Agree. Unfortunately, there's a lot of irresponsible flying out there that's getting the FAA's attention. The fact that they're keeping data on it is a ominous sign - it's making the issue visible to decision makers and regulators. Unfortunately, I think it's a weakness in the AMA's case that they don't have an enforcement arm. FAA can legitimately ask this question: "Ok, AMA, so you want to be the CBO....how exactly will you handle members who are at a field open to the public and they're violating your 'guidelines?" "What exactly will your ORGANIZATON do about that?" I'd be really interested in hearing AMA's response.
I really don't think you guys get it. It is really simple. First, the AMA and the FAA do not have enforce the rules directly. Clubs can limit membership and flying privileges to AMA and club members because they "own" the field and are responsible for safety at the field. If anyone wants to fly at a non-club site or a public site, they must obey the spirit of the safety guidelines. If they fail to do so and do something so stupid that it causes a problem, then local law enforcement, the FAA and any litigious injured party can see to it that they are properly punished.