RCU Forums - View Single Post - time to stop the dromes..........NOW
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2014, 09:38 AM
cj_rumley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bradpaul
You do realize that a "Safety Coordinator" is a required officer position with email access to charter an AMA Club? And the AMA does publish guidelines for the "Safety Coordinator" position.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/920.pdf

So enforcement needs to be established in the Club Charter and the Safety Coordinator is who the AMA communicates with.
Brad,

Having served in that position for one of the clubs I belong to, this observation: Nothing in the cited job description says the SC is a cop. I had that discussion several times with people that called on me to enforce club rules, and my answer was talk to the offender yourself. The club BoD reserved authority to make and enforce rules to themselves. Since they want the control it is only reasonable they have the responsibility. Besides, club officers are covered by AMA insurance for personal injury (libel) that may be incurred in the course of taking enforcement action against a member. I don't think an SC is covered for that risk, only the club officers designated in the policy.
In the ~ 3 years I held that position Duty #1 was a no-op, because there was no communication from AMA relating to safety for me as designated POC to pass on to the club. Makes me wonder what safety 'programming' is if there is any substance at all. AFAIK it is vaporware. Any thoughts?