RCU Forums - View Single Post - Welcome to Club SAITO !
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2014, 08:43 AM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill Lowen
That is a great offer but what i would rather do is just bring it to you and you could supervise my work. The trouble with that is Virginia is quite a drive from Indiana. Nothing against you or anybody else, I just want to learn how to work on these 4 stokes myself..I can rebuild an automotive engine so with a little practice and reading, I should be able to get proficient working on these 4 strokes.. We have a club meeting this weekend and we have a few guys who are Saito vets, probably take it with me and get some thoughts from those guys, at the very least they could probably take a look and see if everything looks OK.. really the only thing I am worried about at this point is if I disturbed the timing of the engine.. I mentioned before that the engine was spun with the electric starter with the exhaust valve closed..meaning only the intake and piston rotated because the exhaust pushrod was not seated correctly on the tappet.. I corrected that and adjusted the valves.. Everything is moving as it should be when I rotate the prop now.. just thinking I disturbed TDC when the engine was spun with the exhaust valve not moving.. Let me add that nothing is hung up inside the engine.. everything is moving freely

Anyway thanks for the generous offer Hobbsy! I truly appreciate it.. and this does not mean you are off the hook yet my friend.. or anybody else around here.. I will probably still be asking questions so don't be running off.

Hope everybody has a wonderful holiday this year!

Bill
Bill, if the exhaust pushrod was not seated right but still moving freely, then there should be no damage to the engine when you spun it with the starter. The cam gear will not jump off timing unless somebody took the engine apart and reassembled it wrong, or there is major damage to the cam gear.