RCU Forums - View Single Post - ~~Sig Kadet Brotherhood~~.
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2014, 07:03 PM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Some further explanations

Explanations in blue by Zor to associate with each statement

Originally Posted by TomCrump

zor,

you were talking about how the Titebond was watery,

It is much too watery, not enough viscosity for my purpose.
If you read earlier that I found thicker stuff in the bottom third of the container and spent 25 minutes mixing it up it then had enough viscosity for a small drop not to flow but that is not practical to create proper fillets. Trying to apply the glue with the container it comes with still makes dripping to the wax paper and does not do fillets of proper size.

but I see a Great Planes wood glue in one of the pics. Did you switch brands of glue because of thethin viscosity of the TB ?

Yes ... I had this Great Planes wood glue (new) and has a round tip on the container. I used it to try on the corners that are horizontal. I wanted to solidify the ribs in position. I applied it last evening and this morning it had cured without leaving much residue (much as a fillet) You see the results in the pictures but I am not happy.

With the relatively long drying time for wood glues. and the fact thay you do not use pins or clamps, how do you keep your parts in the correct position as the adhesive sets ?

You seem to think that I never use clamps or pins. The facts are that I often do when necessary. I do not if the conditions are that the pieces cannot move. Example in this case the precut notches in the ribs had to be filed for the spars to go in. I made sure I did not file that they would be loose. The spars are inserting snug in the ribs without visible gaps before applying the glue; The glue is then applied and the pieces reinserted. When doubling the spars I use clamps or heavy weights to assure contact full length.

I remember a fellow gluing the leading edge sheeting on top of the spar using a pin every inch. In his pic I counted 37 pins in a 36" long spar. That also damage the spar with many pin holes. What I do is use a flattened face of a 2 x 4 and add about 12 to 18 lbs of weight on top.

"Nicely filleted joints" can only happen if the parts are in the right position.

Yes _ _ _ of course. That is logical.

Flowing glue on top of a ill-placed part is of little use.

It is useful to ruin and mess up the build .. ..
I am now looking for some of the original glue I built my Super Skybot and my Spectra with.
It is nice glue of suitable viscosity for filleting and the container is practical to apply the fillet glue.

Anyone can glue their own way; I do it my own way for my own reasons that I often mentioned.

Thanks Tom to give me the opportunity to wish you and your loved ones a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year.

Zor

Last edited by Zor; 12-19-2014 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Corrected wth to with