RCU Forums - View Single Post - Gap seal tape
Thread: Gap seal tape
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2014, 03:36 AM
DonStegall
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HighPlains
If you have long floppy strip ailerons, I would tape the outer half solid. Jett 428 motor on Raider is like a thousand dollar saddle on a fifty dollar horse.
Back in 2001 or 2002 I called Dub and told him I needed an engine I could put on a 428 or in a 422 plane that would idle. He recommended the Quickie JETT with the REDJETT carb. It does idle down to 3000-3500, but there is no midrange you can fly at, It either has to be at an idle or full throttle and on the pipe. I used it on a 428 plane and in a Q-40, but I had it sitting around in 2006 or 2007 and put it on a solid orange Sky Raider Mach II.

People who have flown it love it because it is fast and handles very well. Of course I have dual aileron servos in it and the mixing makes it quite neutral. In 2008 John Gibson said that was what we need to be racing. It is faster than a 424 and of course lands like a trainer.

I put a solid stab on it and it has a JETT mount on a 1/2" plywood standoff. I had to use a Dubro heavy spinner nut to get it to balance. I should have done the whole firewall with the 1/2" ply. and I would cut a couple of lightening holes in the stab if I do it again. The plane is still ready to fly, but I put the engine up wet in 2009 and it needs work.