RCU Forums - View Single Post - Do we really need the ama, or is it just like auto insurance...another ripoff?
Old 12-20-2014, 10:44 AM
JohnShe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LarsL
JohnShe,

You are right, HounDog is not going to be able to produce the 1000 page operating plan that shows how the government will put in place licensing requirements for our hobby. That doesn't mean it couldn't happen. If greater regulation can occur in the area of our 2nd Amendment, certainly it can in our hobby which isn't a Right. I'd rather have an organization like the AMA to work to keep it from happening or at least not be onerous.
The law says that, as long as we obey the rules of a CBO, they cannot regulate us. There is no 1000 page secret plan, there never will be. The FAA has published a road map for integrating the commercial drones, it is only a few pages and says nothing about licenses for recreational activity. The FAA has published an interpretation of the model airplane special rule in the law. Their interpretation specifically stats that as long as we obey the rules of a CBO we will l not be regulated. They have also stated, that for those who cannot or will not obey the rules, they will apply existing regulations and they will punished severely. That's fine with me.

Originally Posted by LarsL
Graybeard,

From your name, I assume you must be an old guy, in this hobby for awhile. The size and speed of our aircraft have fit your "model" for many decades. Do you feel government licensing was required back in the day? Or do you just think it is something we need now? If it's the later, what is your reasoning?

Lars
I am curious as well.

Last edited by JohnShe; 12-20-2014 at 10:52 AM.