RCU Forums - View Single Post - Do we really need the ama, or is it just like auto insurance...another ripoff?
Old 12-20-2014, 12:06 PM
Greybeard1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LarsL
JohnShe,

Graybeard,

From your name, I assume you must be an old guy, in this hobby for awhile. The size and speed of our aircraft have fit your "model" for many decades. Do you feel government licensing was required back in the day? Or do you just think it is something we need now? If it's the later, what is your reasoning?

Lars
Only since about 1950, but relatively new to RC, sometime in the late 1970's. For the hobby as it was, when a ten pound plane was one that needed to be put on a diet, then today, with some of them getting very heavy and powerful, the public safety has to be considered along with what we would like or not like. Large models aren't new, back in the late thirties and forties, choices for engines was, shall we say, limited, and planes tended to be between 7 to 9 feet, some smaller, some bigger. In comparison, the model I used as an example, which could be a heavy .40 size ship or an average .60, my memory from the days I handloaded ammunition, that amount of energy is three times a .45APC. Multiply that with some models that are 20 to 40 pounds, about the same speed, considering public safety, it becomes clear that some control of the skill level of the pilot be considered, and some method of examination. Not necessarily for everyone, but in the realm of large scale, my belief is it's well past time that some certification should be in place.

Not picking on the large scale modelers, but they should realize that those large models present a much larger danger in the event of radio failure or a fly away, which is more likely with the large scale as it can be seen a lot further than one that I'd be flying. Once your model becomes a little black speck, you don't have any idea what it's doing, and not much further, it's flying on it's own. It doesn't know there are populated areas, much less know to avoid them.

I'm not hiding that I'm returning after a long absence, but the arguments concerning the AMA are the same as they were when I first began building models. I'll be flying at Bong, a state park, but one with a designated RC field. complete with blacktop runways, which I disagree with and have since the superintendent asked me what I wanted. (Long story involves politicians, we don't want to go there.) No requirements for AMA insurance, and the park itself is not responsible for anything that happens on that field. It draws those that otherwise wouldn't be flying, some I've seen shouldn't be flying anything but a HLG, and then only with supervision. I will be a member, but at this time when I have planes under construction and nothing ready to fly yet, holding on to the money until I have a need seems to make sense. But the question of the need of the AMA, and membership, I think the answer is yes. The possibility of some new regulation brings the question of who would police and administer, I'd rather it was modelers and not politicians.

Rich.