RCU Forums - View Single Post - Do we really need the ama, or is it just like auto insurance...another ripoff?
Old 12-22-2014, 11:09 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by franklin_m
While some may well be hysteria, there's enough reckless operators posting videos to show that there's too many that are not imaginary - and thus my support for FAA regulating. My recommendation: Hobby = no compensation in any form, nothing over 400' AGL, no FPV, no autonomous navigation, no flight in/under class B or C airspace, nothing within 5nm of class D or full size airfields w/o written agreement, no flight in/under military training routes during NOTAM'd operating hours, and nothing over 55lbs.
Hey Navy:
Just because U don't do anything but roundy round bolters don't Condemn others that enjoy what they do. Yes R/C anything should be restricted where commercial aircraft fly Class B C air space but look where commercial aircraft operate in VFR/IFR weather. Look at any approach plate99% of Precession approaches are 3 degrees or more. That's at 5 miles from the touch down point on the runway is 1835' AGL. Out side of the final approach fix all Comericial is kept higher than the FAF even when on a visual approach.non precision approaches are kept even higher 5 miles out. Way out side of the center ring of class B or C airspace commercial aircraft are more than 2500 AGL. There is no reason why RC has to be kept at 400' when outside 5 miles of a Class B or C airspace. In class D airspace all aircraft GA or Commercial are kept at least 1000'agl i.e. Pattern altitude or even higher when on an IFR flight plan.
As for FPV and LOS that if conducted below 400' and in non congested air space and out side of 5 miles from any airport poses no peril to maned aircraft. All flying sites when out side 5 miles or more should be allowed up to 1000' AGL if not 1500'. No FPV should be allowed over congested area's Commercial or recreational.
R/C has been operating this way for 75 years with little or any problems with maned aircraft. In Wisconsin where I fly all summer we fly on an active airport with no problems in the last 34 years we have been there and we operated off a full scale airport for 20 years before that.