RCU Forums - View Single Post - Do we really need the ama, or is it just like auto insurance...another ripoff?
Old 12-22-2014, 06:27 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Not quite completely correct. IFR traffic receives separation from other IFR traffic and participating VFR traffic. It's the VFR traffic that gets separation services based on workload.
As for the re-routing and such around ORD, that's the unfortunate consequence of flying general aviation. It's just not that easy to route aircraft that are slower at full speed than larger aircraft fly on approach, when you have to make allowances for wake turbulence, and then mix in that many private pilots are just slow on the radio often requiring time consuming repeats and explanations.

I'll predict that the rule will limit model flight to 400' AGL - it won't be an advisory circular anymore, but rather part of the FAR proper.
it's not necessary ... That route is 60 miles from ORD one time we were coming back from Indiana and they gave us that rout. We were on top a 6000 around RFD I looked SW and saw about 13 airplanes down to around 7000 almost 100 miles out from ORD. of course this was about 6pm ... They didn't do holding patterns any more. else I've seen 3 Columns of planes at NBK OEN JOT from 8000 to FL180 and U could see MKE from From 45 south of ORD Clearest Night I ever saw. But Like I said They don't do Holding unless there is no alternative.