RCU Forums - View Single Post - BUSA QS Sopwith Camel
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2014, 06:38 PM
Karp050555

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings and a Merry Day After Christmas to all. I hope you got what you wanted and didn't get what you didn't want. On to the build.

This may not look like much but photos 1 and 2 are of a cutout of the plans taped onto a 1/8" piece of lite plywood and the tracing of rib W-3 which is the center rib of the top wing. I am doing the top wing of my Camel with the center section open with no plastic cover. I also want this rib to be a spot to grab the plane as suggested in the instructions. I took a real hard look at what was there and decided it wasn't good enough to be stained and open for public inspection. I removed the center W-3 rib plus all the shear webs, made a W-3 rib from lite plywood and installed it in the center of the wing, replaced the shear webs, boxed in the area with cap stripping, sanded everything to perfection, and gave the center area a coating of varnish stain. It'll look real good when the covering is ironed on and the box is cap stripped. Now the sermon.

The cutting out of the W-3 rib was a piece of cake using my bench band saw. It would have been time consuming if I had to do it by hand. In the past year I've purchased a scroll saw, band saw, grinder, and a drill press. My building techniques have improved considerably since purchasing these tools and they weren't all that expensive as the band saw and the scroll saw were purchased at flea markets and the grinding wheel and drill press were purchased at Harbor Freight on sale. I've come a long way since my only power tools were a hand drill and a sabre saw. Tune in tomorrow when I drone on and on about something else. The sermon has ended; glue in peace.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	074 12-26-14.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	2057940   Click image for larger version

Name:	075 12-26-14.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	2057941