RCU Forums - View Single Post - time to stop the dromes..........NOW
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2014, 07:25 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnShe
It would appear that some of them, not all, are unable to separate the commercial from the recreational.

On the recreational side, here in the US, we have it made, we have our AMA and FAA who both want to see recreational model aviation to continue to be safe and successful. The may be struggling to work together, with lots of mixed signals, but things will work out. The evidence of this is out there plain as day and quite overwhelming.

Unfortunately, some people ignore facts and used their twisted gut for reasoning.

The commercial will have to deal with the FAA and that is their problem, not mine. They might get some, or all, of what they want or they might not. But, it will have no effect on the recreational side.
From talking with those I know in the US that's exactly the feeling I get. Same as here, fly reasonably, fly safe, learn your responsibilities as a recreational model flyer and you can enjoy the hobby as you always have. AMA membership is not a requirement no different than before as long as your reasonable. I fly regularly in the US and have not noticed any change and there are a lot of multirotors flying. I have not witnessed any unsafe behaviour at any of the fields I have attended everyone seems quite reasonable. New multirotor pilots will often announce their intention to take to the air giving everyone a chance to keep your eyes on the model.

There are always going to be a few who will object more so if they think there is a safety issue. When I first started flying my hotliner I took it easy to get used to it. Lots of comments on how fast it was and how it could climb to the limit of sight in no time. I mistakenly told a few that I was only at half throttle. A few days of flying and I opened it up on the way up and I thought it really booked. The more I got used to it I let it cook across the field. The combo I was using is a known combo and it can hit 150 mph. It sure seem like it. Grumbling started about first the thing coming apart at that speed then if I lost it doing a high speed pass it might end up in the crowd. It was pointed out the airframe was rated for 150 plus and some of the jets that flew at the field were faster. It didn't mater a couple of guys continue to beach to this day. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

Dennis

Last edited by Propworn; 12-26-2014 at 07:42 PM.