RCU Forums - View Single Post - can I shut off nitro engine from a distance
Old 12-29-2014, 03:28 PM
loopdeeloop
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Alice
Airplanes don't have brakes. You can't use the throttle trim to set your idle stop.
I'm afraid you are very wrong. First, airplanes can and do have brakes if you wish to add them but that has nothing to do with the issue here. Fact is a nitro engine will not run with the throttle barrel fully closed. Even the very basic transmitters have trim tabs for all functions and it is used specifically to kill the engine upon landing in the case of airplanes. This is too simple. You start the engine. Begin pulling back the throttle. When the engine begins to stop, Increase the throttle trim. Lower the throttle some more and repeat the process until the engine is at the desired idle speed with the throttle full off. Now decrease the throttle trim. Bingo -- the engine quits. Most programmable transmitters have a KILL switch that does this for you and all of this can be set up in the programming. You set the throttle trim for the desired idle speed with the kill switch up. When you pull the kill switch down the servo simply continues a tad more to the closed position to kill the engine. Yes -- you must pull the throttle closed and then activate the kill switch (or the trim) to kill the engine but it is already pulled back because the engine is at idle. If there is a runaway condition due to a radio issue, with a car, just like an airplane unless "Failsafe" has been programmed, the vehicle will continue run away. Obviously, if the throttle barrel cannot be fully closed because of the carburetor design, then this is all moot. This setup will kill a nitro engine far quicker than pinching off the fuel line. In fact it is almost instantaneous.