RCU Forums - View Single Post - Comp ARF BAE Hawk build thread
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2015, 05:15 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by husafreak
Time to overhaul the air system on one of my main gears and I have questions... This is the stock CARF supplied sport gear for the Hawk. A leak has developed suddenly and is a cosistent leak starting after about 175 flights. It is coming from the small O-ring that acts as a seal for the piston shaft as the piston moves back and forth in the cylinder. It is leaking when the main gear is up and the air pressure is held between the piston ring seal and the O-ring in the block that the cylinder threads on to. I can hear air leaking and see bubbles forming at this seal. I guess a small piece of debris may have cut or scored that O-ring. My CARF rep here in the states is sending me a new piston but after removing and cleaning and replacing the O-ring and having it continue to leak, and inspecting the piston shaft and finding no defects, I think I need a new O-ring. It is quite small. Does anyone have experience with this or specs for the tiny O-ring? I will also contact the manufacturer of the gear but thought I would ask here first and hopefully source the O-rings quickly and or locally. Thanks
Its a common one. The rod material used is quite corse grained and it seems to slowly wear the rod seal O ring in the cylinder mounting block. The old girl thread starter has had two changed over the last five years. Last one was on the nose unit end of last year. I have some of the seals here, but maybe Airtech could give you the spec and you can source locally. Its nothing special.

Couple of shots from Tuesday at CJ 61.

Dave

Attached Images