RCU Forums - View Single Post - *** Ultra Sport Brotherhood ***
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2015, 03:19 AM
tschuy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BelAirBob
How about Ambroids? That is what all of my Ultra Sports were built with. It is water proof, fuel proof and sandable.

Just use a Great Planes sanding bar to taper the control edges. I have two, one with a fine grit, the other a medium. I don't want to sound like a GP ad, but they have a centering tool too. It presses into the balsa, creating a center line. Then I use a pencil to highlight the line. Using these two items is a real easy way to taper the rudder and elevator

Where a belt sander is really handy, is cutting down the belly block on the US. It sure saves a lot of cutting and sanding

happy new year

bob
I sanded my tail feathers down using same technique as Bob. Marked the centerline and used the Great Planes sanding bars with progressively finer sanding paper. Used the really rough stuff initially which did an awesome job of cutting through the wood very quickly, then switched it up with finer grades as I got closer to the center line. I stratigectly placed holding blocks on my bench to lock the surface to table top to hold the surface solid and it made for a quick and simple chore to get done and be very accurate with a clean, straight and sharp surface. Worked perfectly for me and it was surprisingly quick to get done. A little forethought and planning goes a long way...

Cheers,