RCU Forums - View Single Post - Gap seal tape
Thread: Gap seal tape
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2015, 09:57 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Kurt, I know it sounds blasphemous, but just maybe the emperor really is naked? A couple of years ago I borrowed a friends Eagle Tree telemetry system to do some prop testing. I also did some limited testing on how much drag it takes to make a noticeable change in airspeed. I was surprised at the things we normally think of as drag, that didn't amount to a hill of beans! I gave the Eagle Tree back, but to this day would like to run several dozen experiments. It's my "warped" opinion that the speed of our models is most dependent on the thrust package (engine & propeller). The air frame is important, but in racing events most of them evolve to be about the same. Of course how straight it is, and how well it's trimmed is important, but once again the best builder/fliers have the best equipment. Finally all these modelers employ all the conventional "speed secrets", so they must help, right? Maybe not! I'd like for someone to prove me wrong. Until then it's my belief that a lot of what we accept as necessary to get the most out of our airplanes doesn't help at all. Besides my own testing, I've seen a number of examples where the things we believe make a difference, didn't. Collectively, the mentioned examples have solidified my opinion about the things we do, that are a waste of time. But by all means don't take my opinion as gospel, and don't bother to tell me why I'm wrong. It's only my opinion. But if anyone really thinks I'm wrong, give me proof. Until then I hold onto my dumb opinion. And it won't hurt my feelings if you disagree, but don't use words like dullard, or idiot, because some days I resemble those remarks.