RCU Forums - View Single Post - Pitts S1-S by EMHW
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2015, 03:12 PM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well I didn't say thin wall brass couldn't be silver brazed, I said you can run the risk over heating and annealing it if you don't control the heat properly... for that particular part you're showing, I think you choose the right method for being a load carrying wing attachment... silver solder would have worked in that situation as well, but you would of had to add some reinforcement to those butt joints, overlapping pieces would work... since you have literally $10k hanging on that part, 56% silver braze was the way to go ... I always try and localize the heat by wrapping the piece in a wet cloth or paper towel to prevent the heat wicking / building in the entire part.

Looking closer at that part with image zoom, you did a nice job silver brazing it; shows very little heat marks which shows good heat control, so the brass tube still has kept its integrity... not that it makes any difference now, and I'm not saying this to be snotty, but I would have chosen some 304 thin walled stainless tube to make that part.. not because I don't trust the brass tubing, I just always over build those types of areas, and I like the way stainless silver brazes... I'm sure if the design calls for the brass tubing then its plenty strong enough... and by the way, you can just as easily anneal stainless steel as you can brass.

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 01-08-2015 at 04:47 PM. Reason: No Reason