RCU Forums - View Single Post - Gap seal tape
Thread: Gap seal tape
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2015, 09:24 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

John, good luck on you new racing season. I've been around RC Pylon racing for about 1/2 century, and the one constant is that nothing remains the same. Some changes are good, and some are bad. I've seen the rise and fall of: Sport Pylon, Ugly Stick Racing, Toad Racing, 1/2 A racing, Quarter Midget (15 disp. engines), at least 6 different Quickie 500 classes, Formula I & II, 3 different FAI events, Club 20, several War Bird classes, and probably many more that I can't remember. As you related, sometimes rules changes ruin events. Many events die out from lack of support, both from contestants, and clubs willing to put on the races. I too am a CD, and I've run a number of local races, team trials, Championship Races, and the AMA Nats. I've personally raced in about 30 of the lower 48 States. However in the last 20 years my only contribution to the Pylon Community is to serve on the FAI Team Selection Committee, and occasionally race. I only mention this to point out that when guys like you and I are no longer a driving force for pylon, our influence diminishes, but sometimes "new blood" helps to rejuvenate events. Club 40 is a good example of a different approach to Pylon Racing that has been very successful. My approach is to encourage, and support whenever I can, and based on what I've seen in these forums, that's what most of the other contributors are trying to do. Just sometimes we don't choose our words very well. Like I said "it's all good" so long as we are still racing. Greg