RCU Forums - View Single Post - Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2015, 01:59 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Gentlemen; my sincere apologies. I suffered a major computer failure (wireless modem went out) that disabled my desktops, as well as my laptop. No correct answers thus far, so here's a handful of new clues to get us back on track. Thanks; Ernie P.

Question: What warbird do I describe?

Clues:

(1) This was a warbird which was never popular with its pilots.

(2) Although a good aircraft, it suffered in one key area; it suffered mainly in comparison with another contemporary aircraft.

(3) The other aircraft was fielded by the same air force as this one; and the pilots simply preferred the other. Probably with good reason, as the other was an iconic aircraft.

(4) The aircraft you seek was supposedly heavy on the controls, and not quite so maneuverable as was desired.

(5) It was, however, very strong and able to withstand the stresses of steep dives; something not all aircraft of the time could do.

(6) Eventually, several hundred of this aircraft were produced; as it was considered to be a worthwhile and viable aircraft. It was simply considered to be second best, compared to it’s ally.

(7) This aircraft came into being after a formal study of a very effective enemy aircraft.

(8) Essentially, its designers adapted a copy of the wing of the enemy aircraft to one of their own existing designs. That eventually lead to this aircraft.