RCU Forums - View Single Post - Habu 32X
Thread: Habu 32X
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2015, 01:38 PM
SushiHunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rking3
Thanks for the info.

I am looking for stuff on using a tail cone to the motor and EDF unit, such as the one that Tam sells.

http://www.tamjets.com/original/prod...roducts_id=711

Wanted to know how it looks with and without one. I am planning on going without since I will use a 40mm fan on the ESC under the battery tray instead of putting it in the tail cone like Tam does with the TJ80s.
I see. Well, the tail cone on the motor will cause the motor to run maybe a little bit warmer than if it didn't have the tail cone on it. That is what I was told by Stumax. In regards to the ESC, that would all depend on how much battery, rating of ESC that you're running and even how you program the ESC in regards to it's program settings. I'm running a Castle Creations Phoenix Edge HV series ESC and when programming the ESC via the USB and data link to the computer, depending on how you set up the parameters, it can have an effect on ESC temperature. During my test runs on my own Habu with the Stumax unit on 8s, the canopy & EDF unit access panel installed and the gear up, I ran the unit for a full solid 4 minutes at full throttle on 8s (2 x 4000mAH 30c) and after the run, the ESC's exterior temperature showed 97 degrees, and according to the data logging that I downloaded from the ESC, the temperature reached 100 degrees. How accurate is all this? I don't exactly know for sure but those were the numbers I got when I checked these things. Another thing to think about is how much of the ESC's capabilities are you using. From all the research I've done on the internet and plus talking with lots of very experienced electric heli and home built quad pilots, I've been lead to believe that the harder your ESC works in regards to how much voltage/amps/power it is connected to, determines how hot it's going to get. In my situation I may have gone a little over kill with the ESC I'm using in my Habu. The ESC I'm running in my Habu is using only at about 30% of it's full capabilities. I did this because many very experienced electric heli, EDF, quad, car and boat guys told me that you want to try and stay at least no more than 60% with the ESC. The more you go past the 60% mark, the greater the risk of failures with the ESC. All this is stuff to think about and put into consideration when putting the systems together. This is my first real EDF so I'm learning by having access to a lot of guys with a very knowledgeable and well experienced background with pretty advanced electric power plants and systems.

Last edited by SushiHunter; 01-13-2015 at 02:13 PM.