RCU Forums - View Single Post - First Sailplane Questions
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2015, 09:42 PM
D400webb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realize that you said you have yor plans and wood, but I still thought I'd add another two cents in terms of comments.

I'm in agreement with another commenter who suggested that the Thermix is a relatively heavy glider to start off with. If the comments suggesting that the large motor and battery pack are necessary to balance the plane are correct, then I suggest it is poorly designed for a starter thermal ship, since it will make for a pretty fast-flying glider. The motor seems like overkill. To give you something for comparison, the original Olympic II (an older, but highly successful starter thermal design) plans offered a glow-powered option (this was pre-e-glider days). The recommended glow engine, iirc, was a little .049 - this was considered perfectly adequate to launch this comparable airframe. The Oly II was a standard (100") glider with a flat foil (modified Clark Y), and has very gentle characteristics, one of which is a slow air speed, yet good lift. This is important in a starter glider since it gives the pilot a much improved ability to spot and react to thermals, which is of course the whole point of gliders.

Since you have powered flight experience, the added mass that would have a detrimental impact effect for true beginners crashing occasionally won't be much of a issue for you, but I still don't think this Thermix design is your best option to start off in thermal soaring.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by D400webb; 01-19-2015 at 08:54 AM.