RCU Forums - View Single Post - Chris Olsen's Uproar. The Renaissance of an Early British Aerobatic Model.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:00 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

This is as far as I've got 07.45 GMT 22nd January 2015. I did take some intermediate pictures but they didn't come out well. The picture shows the basic construction of the starboard wing from the underside, complete except for the wing tip and the sheeting-in of the aileron pivot area and trailing edge.

I was assisted in the build by having bought a huge piece of balsa fully 6ftx1ft (1.8 metres x 30cms) at one of the shows years ago. I assume it was several pieces somehow fused together. The quality isn't brilliant but being so wide I was able to make capping strips with the grain running at right angles to the ribs. This made them very easy to glue into place. In the original plan the capping strips are only 1/4" wide but having stripped back the covering from the port wing I see that I made the cap strips rather wider, about 3/8" or 15mm, when I built the model first time round.

The wing has come out pretty light but very strong. I have used cyano glue much more on this project than I usually do.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Uproar wing construction..JPG
Views:	67
Size:	354.4 KB
ID:	2066394   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uproar wing construction. (3).JPG
Views:	75
Size:	361.4 KB
ID:	2066395   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uproar wing construction. (4).JPG
Views:	65
Size:	353.3 KB