RCU Forums - View Single Post - Where have all the builders gone
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2015, 07:04 PM
brockettman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, thought it was about time I chimed in. I was encouraged by my uncle to buy a “wooden airplane kit that could really fly” when I was about 10 years old (Guillow’s I think). I have to admit, even though I had built many plastic models, this particular model was so frustrating that it brought tears to my eyes. But, I didn’t give up, and a few days later I had my first “scratch built” airplane. I couldn’t figure out the plans and I couldn’t cut the balsa along the inked lines (no laser cut parts in this kit). So I made it work. This was about 43 years ago…
From that point I got pretty good at balsa and tissue models, flew Cox and Testor’s control line planes, and finally built a Hobby Shack trainer with a Cirrus 4 channel and a Thunder Tiger .20. Crashed it hard on the maiden flight, still have the engine. Never did learn to fly. Along came a wife and kids…

Fast forward to about 8 years ago. Bought an ARF Cub on e-bay, borrowed a Real Flight Nexstar trainer simulator, and uh ohhh, I learned to fly RCs! Well, it was time to start building again and once again I am hooked! Just finished up a Bridi Bree-Zee Bipe and looking forward to starting a Twin Air .20 next.

Thanks to all of the guys here on RCU who have encouraged me and also taught me about these marvelous flying machines.
I’ll be building for a while longer….

Ben