RCU Forums - View Single Post - ~~Sig Kadet Brotherhood~~.
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2015, 08:18 AM
nealmontgomery

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perfect Ken, that is what we are trying to replicate here.

The kicker for me, and more for the fun of looking at an old NACA technical report, was that the contours were smoothed and the dimensions were given precisely, and the results of each iteration were measured an evaluated to give the best result, or compromise, across all performance regimes.

The comparison between contours with more abrupt changes to the cross-sectional area and the smoother flows as they researched is what interested me, and prompted me to follow this path.

So, this is more a matter of making something for fun following the research of guys who were, back in the day, having a ball at Langley and being paid (well) for what they loved to do.

If it works, I have triumphed. If it works not as well as hoped, that is okay, too. I have had a ball making something from historical research.

But it will work....magnificently.

The Icon A-5 I have was not pretty to fly. With the addition of slotted flaps and a drooped outer leading edge, (which I also have a build log on) it is a big ol' baby to fly now. Flies great......still wiggles, but slow flight is ROCK solid.

But I digress.......

Last edited by nealmontgomery; 01-24-2015 at 08:21 AM.