RCU Forums - View Single Post - Where have all the builders gone
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2015, 05:09 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Quorneng
It may be a slightly contentious point of view but who says it can only be considered 'built' if it is made out of balsa and covered in a plastic film.

You can indeed 'build' out of foam and I don't mean carved out of a solid block but built with foam formers & ribs and covered in foam sheet.
Obviously there are limitations to size and as most foams are not really fuel proof much better suited to electric.

Here is one I made earlier.

A 32" span scale Fairey Delta 2 EDF constructed in exactly the same way as you could with balsa but using 2mm Depron foam sheet instead.
Builders are still out there.
No one. I have seen a web sited where a fellow sells wood templates for some really hard to build EDF foam planes. I have a great foam cutter made by Gene, goirish, and when I have some extra cash on hand I plan on buying one of this fellows template kits. They look like they are a heck of a project and I want to improve my foam cutting skills. I would like to try it with the nice pink foam too but insulation in my part of the country isn't as big a deal as other places so the local hardware stores don't stock the good foam and I will need to buy a complete sheet. I have been cutting wings and parts for club members with the white foam though. I do OK but need a lot more time on it to get better.