RCU Forums - View Single Post - How many acres does it take to fly R/C ??
Old 01-25-2015, 09:46 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rustyrivet
Sorry, I know it almost sounds like a joke.... LOL.... but I have no punchline to offer as my question is for real.

I've been out of this hobby for about 8 or so years now, and it's been that long since I beonged to an RC club to be able to carefully observe how much space most casual sport plane flying will cover, or be able to ask the guys how much acreage they think is being used by most of the members fying their Cubs, Kadets, or Top Flite Giant P-47's. If I were to purchase some land, I want to be able to comfortably fly an RC sport plane so that I don't have to worry about it readily straying out of my boundaries and buzzing over a neighbors property or airspace. I've never really masterd flying because I've always been nervous with that aspect of the hobby, and have focused and enjoyed the building part of the hobby. Do any of you guys at your R/C club or on your own property have a good idea how many acres are being used on the average? While I don't desire typical R/C club acreage so huge that a plane can practically be flown out of sight, I also wouldn't want to buy land so small that it causes me to have to fly small and restrictve approaches or go-arounds that will intimidate me. Not having to worry about clipping the perimiter of tree tops or flying over the farmer in his tractor next door wil make for more relaxed flying.
Rusty X since you are in Houston, TX, you have a number of clubs in the Greater Houston area. There is a large number of RC Flying sites in GREATER Houston and many more all around the area. Now if you wish to buy property, and with the many housing/businesses close to each other, you will need many Yankee Greens
to purchase adequate land to fly an RC model without arousing the neighbors or on south side, 'gators and snakes. Of course there are many types of RC models. I have flown some of the really small electric things within my 2 acre yard even with a nice house, outdoor pool and a 40 X 100 barn plus several trees. It can be done.
Now you think about acreage within a city limit, Houston or surroundings, you will run into all kinds of politics, especially Houston itself. Property Taxes are big time!
My place in Harris County, BUT NOT HOUSTON, is very low in taxes in relation to Houston Proper.
Now you mention never mastering the flying part. (Don't tell anyone, but most of we sport fliers never will MASTER it. ) I suggest you determine the area you want that satisfies your desires and go from there. I think joining a club is by far the best way. Then get into working WITH the club, not against it and fly as much as you can with an instructor. That nervous thing will probably disappear before you know it. If you are on the north side of Houston, or anywhere and you don't mind driving, the Houston Sport Fliers are a bit west of 45 and just north of Rankin. (I get lost each time I go there. ) Just go to the AMA District 8 website and you can find it.
Clubs abound all around the area. I belong to Jetero RC and if you are in northeast Houston area and don't mind the drive, check out Jetero. www.jetero.com. Club owns 50 acres and has nice items. Indoor rest facilities, air-conditioned kitchen and sitting room, 4000 sq. feet concrete under a metal roof, 800 by 100 manicured runway N/S and highway frontage. North of 1960 between Huffman and Dayton off FM 686. Good Luck.