RCU Forums - View Single Post - Where have all the builders gone
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2015, 08:14 AM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RichardGee
Ha! Actually it is you who is trolling for a confrontation! Insinuating that I (or others) may not possess the talent for building? What a dumb thing to say. But you did get one thing right - many who love to build rarely fly... which is why they spend so much time building (and repairing)...
I agree 100% with you: the moron is a troll!

I have been in the hobby for over 40 years. And yes I WAS an ARF builder! It was profitable. Since I worked only 40 hours per week, I had a lot of time to work on my models. I built at least 3 per year in most cases, and since I was lucky not to crash (too many), I sold the models after about 6 month of use.

People at the field offered to buy them as soon as I maidened them. Honestly, it was quite profitable at the time. Yes I ended building the same kit more than once (Glodberg Cubs and Eagles for example).

So now I have a giant Sweet Stick Arf (electrified after using a G26 for a while), a Curtiss Hawk bipe ARF (the big one, gasser, our of production from Great Planes), and a 1/4 scale RV4 (electric).

After hundreds of flights, I lost a 40 size electric Telemaster ARF I boght that one as soon as they came out. Great model.

Also fly a 1/4 scale cub (balsa usa, I built this one over 20 years ago), finishing a Low Sweet Stick (from a Midwest kit), and a Balsa USA DVIII.

So, to imply that I (or many of my colleagues) fly ARF because we do not know how to build is just plain moronic. Time is scars now, since I own my own company for over a decade, plus have 4 grandsons, I travel as much as I can, and my other hobby is photography.

If you do not know how to build, trust me, it is not brain science, and those that are so proud to being able to build an airplane, well, if that is your biggest accomplishment in life: big deal.

Anybody can build. I got my in-law (full size private pilot) into the hobby about 4 years ago. He is working now on a Wendelll Hostetler 30% Decathlon. Again, this is not brain surgery. This is a great hobby and if you are not having fun, you are not doing it right.

And somebody really thinks everybody has to participate in this hobby the way you do. Well, this person is an ignorant so full of himself he cannot understand why the rest of the world does not share his interests. To those people one can only say: gow up, and get real.

Gerry