RCU Forums - View Single Post - Where have all the builders gone
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2015, 10:21 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by essyou35
One of the issues I have is I dislike full balsa models, too fragile. I only fly fiberglass. Being into jets mostly, I need to build fiberglass molds. While possible, that is a serious undertaking and I will get there eventually. In the interim ARFs are the only option for me for fiberglass.

I'd rather glass foam than fly covered balsa anyday! I guess if I can glass the balsa that is ok too.

As Richard mentioned, I am into flying. All the old builders in my club marvel at my mediocre flying skills, because they just spend too much time building. They claim it must be the video games. Well not really, I GET to spend my time flying instead of building.

I really think building is a separate hobby from RC. While related, they can remain distinct and I fly without having to build per your definition. I know some who build and don't fly. I don't care.

Not so long ago we had to use slide rules (well not me). I use a calculator now but that doesn't mean I don't know how to add. I feel that is the same analogy, building is dead and we have better ways of doing things today. By all means get out your slide rules and build, I wont judge you. Can I just fly without you judging me?

Don't make assumption just because I fly ARFs. Nothing in this hobby is rocket science, and there is not a lot of stature involved in all of its aspects. In the end we are just grown men playing with toys who act like 12 year olds sometimes with who can spit the farthest.
Once you hit mother earth going fast it makes no difference if its fiberglass or balsa, the end result is the same ,just saying ! Fixing it is another story cause i would rather repair balsa than fiberglass pieces. joe