RCU Forums - View Single Post - How many acres does it take to fly R/C ??
Old 02-07-2015, 10:20 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rustyrivet
Sorry, I know it almost sounds like a joke.... LOL.... but I have no punchline to offer as my question is for real.

I've been out of this hobby for about 8 or so years now, and it's been that long since I beonged to an RC club to be able to carefully observe how much space most casual sport plane flying will cover, or be able to ask the guys how much acreage they think is being used by most of the members fying their Cubs, Kadets, or Top Flite Giant P-47's. If I were to purchase some land, I want to be able to comfortably fly an RC sport plane so that I don't have to worry about it readily straying out of my boundaries and buzzing over a neighbors property or airspace. I've never really masterd flying because I've always been nervous with that aspect of the hobby, and have focused and enjoyed the building part of the hobby. Do any of you guys at your R/C club or on your own property have a good idea how many acres are being used on the average? While I don't desire typical R/C club acreage so huge that a plane can practically be flown out of sight, I also wouldn't want to buy land so small that it causes me to have to fly small and restrictve approaches or go-arounds that will intimidate me. Not having to worry about clipping the perimiter of tree tops or flying over the farmer in his tractor next door wil make for more relaxed flying.
If you are still interested, rusty rivet, Jetero RC Club is hosting its annual RC COMPETITION FUN FLY ON Feb. 21 st at the Jetero RC Field. Check our www.jetero.com for information. After 18 years CDing and hosting that event I turned it over to the Jetero Club to handle as they wish. I am sure it will be a nice one.

CD is Larry Rogers, 713 503 1191 email: [email protected] Listed as Dayton, TX but closer to Huffman. Good map on the website.