RCU Forums - View Single Post - How many acres does it take to fly R/C ??
Old 02-08-2015, 03:53 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rusty, I also like building, however as I get very much older today than it seems that I was yesterday, I simply never get much done. Both 2013 and 2014 have been less than what I consider healthy. OTOH now that all the fuss of trying to again be an AMA Board member is behind me, well I think I will get back to flying as soon as the warm weather comes back. I have a lot of catching up, or better "...a lot of patching up !!! In addition the "infernal revenue non-service" has encroached on me as I have been active in using my IRAs in various "real-estate maneuvering". Oh Well "Nuff of that!"

Now, Rusty, it is not a problem to need and get some time on the sticks. While I am in the minority with my thinking, I am fully of the belief that the Buddy Box is the real way to learn RC. When I went through USAF pilot training, I was happy to have that instructor there even if he did use the famous 3 methods of instruction: FEAR - RIDICULE - and SARCASM. He was very good at that and I wound up being very good at flying airplanes.
When I started into RC, I slipped out to a place where very few ever went. After all at that time I had a lot of time as a pilot, been super-sonic both straight up and straight down so I could fly this toy. All of a sudden there must have been a dozen airplanes in the sky as they (IT) was all over the sky. Landing provided many items to rebuild. That took some time, but as a long time CL stunt and FF competition builder and flyer, I got'er done! Just a few times (NO buddy cords back then) and I had it under control. Back then there were good guys that were fast to grab or take control of your hand and save a model. Yes, I crashed a few along the way, still do. Yet if you get a really good RC Instructor, pay attention to the airplane and treat the basic aerodynamics (All subsonic airplanes follow the same criteria ) as they are, before you know it you will wonder why you ever had a problem. There are many self asserted "Instructors" that are not worth a crap. There are very many more that are excellent.
I will bet that with your experience, I could solo you within 3 days of 4-5 flights in a day. Wanna' try? Meet you at Jetero -- your call.