RCU Forums - View Single Post - Remembering Carl Goldberg Models "The Legends of Carl GOldberg"
Old 02-09-2015, 11:27 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah, me too. Took the Eaglet out again today before the rain and wind started. Awful lot of black gunk came out the muffler for awhile, then it cleared to the usual oil spray I'm used to seeing. That took about a half-tank to clear out. Two flights to dry tank with deadstick landings and she's WAY better than yesterday. Of course, yesterday I was flying in 15-20mph breezes (lousy conditions for test flights), today was all but calm. Then 2 flights of touch & goes with powered landings - she's GREAT on a powered approach.

Lastly, I put her up for some "play time". High flat-bottom wing, same as several other of my planes - and she's every bit as good as any of them, better than a couple. Inverted flight's a bit of a time, she was originally built with more dihedral than I would have built her, but she WILL stay inverted, she WILL do outside loops. My SIG Kadet Mk-II doesn't like outside loops and neither does my LiveWire Champ Mk-II. Inside loops, rolls, spins - all REALLY good, spins are actually nearly as good as my Sr. Falcon (semi-symmetrical wing) and SIG MidStar-40 (symmetrical).

Not one time, did the engine stall out today. I'm thinking it was just old gunk down inside that needed clearing out.

I added a half ounce of weight to the tail last night. I was noticing yesterday that her glide wasn't all that great, she was coming down rather smartly with a shut-down engine. Today was a whole lot better - I think she might have been a tad nose heavy, even though the CG was precisely where the plans said it should be. Today the CG is actually 1/4" behind the main spar and she's doing just fine with it there.

Come to think of it, looking at the Sr. Falcon's plans (hadn't had them out in near 40 years) the CG for the Falcon is pretty far back on the wing - well behind the spar - and I've been awful happy with the Falcon for an awful long time.

This is the most active planes I've ever had in my hangar - 12 so far, 4 of them are Carl Goldberg planes. Once I have another good day I can put my AFI Super Monterey glider up for her maiden and that'll make 13. Then, once the 1966-era SIG Stratus is complete and flying I'll have 14. Getting crowded in there.

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!