RCU Forums - View Single Post - No.. could it be..?
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2015, 09:10 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonified Wingnut
Awesome! I am looking forward to building this.
I might not comment but I read every post.
I wish I had more to add to this thread but my experience with high performance engines is all in my future. I am a fan of engines but I don't know how much time I want to spend tuning. But I am probably going to learn it any way. I want a good engine but I am not a fan of West or Jett for my own reasons. A carbed engine is my preference...I will be shopping for more powerful engines this summer. Some of the OS and other ducted fan engines sound good but I am not a fan of OS although I would try one before the other two. A Nelson does sound good to me. Ebay bargains is what I am good at. I have yet to determine what I am willing to pay for performance. I
Hi Bonified - if you're not a fan ot Jett or West or OS.. all fine quality engines in their own ways - then whose engines do you like?

How about... an Evolution .60NX (not the large case .61!) with the Jett aftermarket muffler. Killer power in a .40 case, relatively inexpensive. I have one in my original Demon now, waiting until it is NOT -29F plus wind chill to check it out. I bet it will be a riot.

Considering this motor can pull a Phoneix 7 ARF vertically after rotation on a 10-7, it ought to be adequate for a 3lb delta. Trick is to find the sweet prop. I believe joy will be found in a bit more shaft load than the 18-20k rpm .46-.50 crowd. I will start with a 10-7, try 10-8, and likely 9-9, 9-10.

Another idea is the TT Pro .46, again on a Jett muffler. 10-7 or 9-8/9-9 I figure (advice I got was to keep rpm around 17k or so for longevity, someone feel free to chime in). They haul Q500 ARF's in the130-135 range, there is roundabout 10-15mph more speed potential on the Demon.

Don't forget a good .32 - .35 in a .25 case is also a nice powerplant - you get a lighter aircraft that still boogies. All depends your goals - top speed? High revving .46-.60 small block sport engine, .46-.50 DF engine, pylon engines.