RCU Forums - View Single Post - time to stop the dromes..........NOW
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2015, 12:57 PM
cj_rumley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnShe
Oh! He meant press release. Why didn't he say so?

Actually, it is almost good news for us. They make it clear that they will honor section 336 to the fullest. The only remaining issue is getting them to revise some of the onerous issues in the interpretation. To me, those are the FPV restriction, for those that fly FPV by AMA rules, and the commercial use issue for the model plane industry, demonstrating their toys..
Your are correct, It is good for most of us, though it isn't over for AMA. I think you will find when the rules are released - today?) that the FPV restriction is not a ban, but a requirement for 'see and avoid' that can be met by other means, i.e., use of a spotter. AMA' position is "Campaigns such as “Know Before You Fly” and AMA’s long-standing community-based safety programs are the best, and perhaps the only, ways to effectively manage the recreational community." AMA isn't going to let the CBO gravy train go away without a fight, and FAA has not interpreted (and IMHO never will interpret) Section 336 to require membership in a CBO, but only operating in accord with the CBO safety guidance. Meanwhile modelers will retain the freedom to enjoy the hobby/sport, whether AMA member or independent. I'm good with that.